Thursday, January 26, 2012

Utah Shakespeare Festival Guest Blog - Christina Flynn, an actor on the Tour

Christina Flynn: Hippolyta/Peter Quince/Titania on the Tour


Christina L. Flynn is excited to be joining the Utah Shakespeare Festival Educational tour for the first time. Originally from San Diego, California, Christina received her B.A in Theatre Arts from Santa Clara University and her M.F.A in Acting from Wayne State University. Christina has also studied at the Moscow Art Theatre in Russia

Hello! My name is Christina Flynn and I am one of the members of the acting company for USF's 2012 tour of A Midsummer Night's Dream! I am originally from San Diego, California, but I have been living in the Detroit area for the last 5 years where I completed my MFA in Acting with the Hilberry Repertory Theatre. I am now in the transition of making Chicago my artistic home base. 

Let me just begin by saying how thrilled and delighted I am to be a part of this tour. This is my first experience with USF and it has by far exceeded my already high expectations! Everyone that I've met at USF has been so incredibly kind, generous, enthusiastic and talented... the cast, the crew, the SM, our beloved director, Melinda, the wonderful Michael Bahr, who has led us in our workshop training... the list goes on and on! I am really having the time of my life!
Flynn as Titania, Thomas as Bottom

What I love about doing Shakespeare is that no matter how many times you've done one of Shakespeare's plays it is never going to be quite the same production. This is my third, and I must say, favorite production of Midsummer that I have been involved in. I have now played Hermia once and Titania twice (counting this production), and I have never, until this production, played Hippolyta or Peter Quince. What fun! 

I have also never done an educational tour of quite this extent... performing for more than 30,000 people across four states and for 60+ performances! Amazing! I truly believe that bringing Shakespeare to youth and others who would not normally seek out a Shakespeare production is one of the greatest ways to keep our theaters alive in the years to come.
Mobley,Flynn,Thomas,Whipple, Blakely

I think what I'm looking forward to the most during the tour is the continued bonding that will happen with the cast and crew. This is a very special group of people and I am looking forward to our adventures together on the road. I am looking forward to the workshops that we will be teaching as part of the tour. I am looking forward to performing this incredibly fun and energetic production of Midsummer. It will be so fun to see how this show will grow with so many performances, in so many different spaces, and in front of so many different audiences! Finally, I am looking forward to seeing parts of the U.S that I have not seen before!

For the meantime I am still enjoying the rehearsal process and am by no means wishing away the time, as that will mean saying good bye to the people involved who will not be coming with us on tour! 

Christina will be blogging during the tour, so be sure to check back to see her thoughts during the tour. You can find the schedule for the tour at http://bard.org/education/tourschedule.html . 


And please feel free to share the blog with friends and colleagues!

Photos by Karl Hugh. Copyright 2012 Utah Shakespeare Festival 

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the blog this year! I'm loving all the different perspectives. That's definitely a strength of USF (you have so many!)

    ReplyDelete