Thursday, July 12, 2012

Utah Shakespeare Festival Guest Blogs - Costume Technicians

If you've seen some plays this summer, you know that the costumes are amazing - sumptuous and help drive the plot. Here you can meet two of our costume technicians who create these wondrous garments: Elizabeth Kay Aaron and Lindsay Hinz:

Elizabeth Kay Aaron:

Have you ever worked at the Festival before? If so, for how many years?
This is my first season with USF!
What's your title?
Stitcher
Where’s your home base?
Knoxville, TN
What’s your educational/training background?
I have my MFA from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville in Costume Design and a BFA in studio arts (concentration in drawing) also from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville
In what other theatres have you worked?
The Clarence Brown Theatre, Lexington Children's Theatre, Arkansas Repertory Theatre, Roundhouse Theatre (Bethesda)
What are your favorite activities when not working?
Drawing, Video games, movies, swimming, reading
What do you hope to learn this summer?
Some serious sewing skills!
Why do you think theatre is important?
Theatre is important because it forces us (the designers, crew, actors and audience) to empathize with other view points, lifestyles, and people that we might not normally try to understand. This makes us more well rounded and sensitive human beings.
What's your favorite play?
My favorite play is always the one I am currently working on... but Warhorse was seriously good...
Anything else you’d like us to know?
I have come to theatre a bit later in my life, so I am just starting to get my footing and it feels amazing.

Lindsay Hinz:

Have you ever worked at the Festival before? If so, for how many years?
No. This is my first time at the Utah Shakespeare Festival.
What's your title?
My title is Costume Technician
Where’s your home base?
    Charlottesville, VA
What’s your educational/training background?

In spring of 2011, I got my Bachelor of Arts in Theater: Design/ Tech and a Minor in Studio Art from Christopher Newport University in Newport News, Virginia. I have just completed my first year out of three in Graduate School at University of Virginia to get my Master of Fine Arts Degree in Costume Design and Technology.
In what other theatres have you worked?
Outside of an educational setting, I have worked at Signature Theater in Shirlington, Virginia and at Wolftrap Center for the Performing Arts in Vienna, Virginia.
What are your favorite activities when not working?  
My favorite activities when not working are constructing replica costumes, drawing, painting, knitting, embroidery, and watching tv and movies.
What do you hope to learn this summer?
I hope to advance my technology skills, which comes most from working on new and different projects and working with people who will share their knowledge and tricks of the trade.
Why do you think theatre is important?
Theater is about creating art and magic for others to appreciate, enjoy, and be entertained by. Theater is important because it lets people explore a different world and experience different emotions.
What's your favorite play?
I love upbeat musicals, but my very favorite is Hello, Dolly! I have never had the opportunity to work on this show.
Anything else you’d like us to know?
I love getting dressed up and enjoy experimenting with different styles.

2 comments:

  1. .thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks to the person who made this post, this was very informative for me. Please continue this awesome work.
    Chris Gilman Medford Oregon

    ReplyDelete